Study shows break room as the top germ hot spot in your office
The break room can be a nice spot to relax during a break, but it can also be a haven for germs. According to a 2012 study that swabbed nearly 5000 surfaces in law, insurance, health care and manufacturing offices and call centers, the break room is on the top of the list for dirtiest locales. Be sure that your cleaning company disinfects these hot spots regularly.
The following spots showed high areas of contamination from animal, vegetable, bacteria, yeast and mold cells:
- 75% of break room faucets
- 48% of microwave fronts
- 26% of refrigerator handles
- 23% of water fountain handles/buttons
- 21% of vending machine buttons. This is not commonly a part of cleaning contracts, but can be added to it to ensure germs don’t spread from here
The following spots showed contamination in lower levels, but still at levels needing disinfection:
- 91% of break room faucets
- 80% of microwave fronts
- 69% of refrigerator handles
- 53% of water fountain handles/buttons
- 43% of vending machine buttons
Further contamination can occur when employees take a visit to the break room to heat up some lunch or grab a snack from the vending machine and then take those germs back to their desks.
With flu season heating up, disinfecting these sometimes overlooked areas can help stop illness from knocking out your employees. Talk to your cleaning company today about making sure these top germ spots in the break room are disinfected regularly.